Register for School
At Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS), we do our best to make registering for school as simple as possible. Here we’ll take you through exactly what you need to do to register your child for school, organized by grade-level. However, regardless of grade level, registration for MNPS will require 8 basic documents.
What You Need To Register For MNPS:
- Student Registration Cover Sheet & Checklist for 2016-2017: [Spanish] [Kurdish] [Somali]
- Registration Packets for 2017-2018: [English]
- Student Registration Form
- Record Of Birth (birth certificate, passport, visa, I-94, etc.)
- Immunization/Vaccination Record (on a Tennessee Certificate of Immunization form)
- Student Health History (with proof of a physical examination within 1 year of the start of school) [Spanish] [Kurdish] [Arabic]
- Photo identification from the parent or guardian (driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc.)
- Proof of Residency (lease, utility bill, etc.)
- Recent Transcript/Report Card (optional)
APPLYING For Pre-K
Our process for Pre-K is distinct from any of our higher grade-levels. There are separate eligibility requirements that must be considered, including special PreK Immunization Requirements, and a separate application. And, in addition to the normal documents required for MNPS registration, Pre-K requires additional documents to be provided.
The 2017-2018 Pre-K Application Period is March 27, 2017 to April 7, 2017.
Additional Documents Required For PreK Registration:
- Pre-K Packet to Attain a Student Identification Number*
- Proof of Income, which could be…
- 1040 Form (make sure child’s name is listed)
- Family First Case Number (from Department of Human Services)
- Food Stamp Number (also from Department of Human Services)
- Proof of Income, which could be…
*An MNPS Student Identification Number is required to apply for pre-K.
In order to enroll in MNPS PreK for the 2017-2018 school year, a child must be 4 years old on or before August 15, 2017.
To access this application, follow the link below...
Registering For Elementary & Middle School
MNPS runs 11 different enrollment centers. These enrollment centers operate from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. In order to register your child for school at a MNPS elementary or middle school, you must visit one of these enrollment centers in person. When you visit, make sure you bring all the required documents listed above.
Before you schedule your child’s pre-school-year doctor’s appointment, be sure that you double check the Immunizations Requirements of your child’s school.
Registering For High School
Registering your child for high school with MNPS works much the same the registration process for Elementary and Middle School. You must register in person through one of our enrollment centers, and arrive with the required documents (listed above) in-hand, including immunization information.
Registering For A School Outside Your Zone
MNPS, as a default, will assign children to schools based on zones. This means that the school your child is automatically assigned to depends entirely on your address. However, if you would prefer your child attend a different school than the one corresponding to your zone, you have the option to fill out an external application (we call these “optional applications”) and apply to the school of your choosing. Your eligibility to apply to schools outside your zone depends upon the space available in those schools. MNPS also runs a number of charter schools that you may apply to at any time.
Registering For English Learners
If English is not the first language for you and your family, your child should be enrolled in our English Learners (EL) Program. To register your child for school, contact our International Student Registration Center at (615) 259-8608 and make an appointment. The International Student Registration Center is inside our English Learners office at 615 Fessey Park Road, Nashville, Tennessee 37204.
Once your child has been registered for the EL program, your entire family will be eligible to participate in the wide variety of programs we offer to EL families. If you have any questions, you can read our Frequently Asked Questions below, or call us directly at the number listed above.
Resources For EL Families:
- International Student Registration Center Contact Information
- English Learners FAQs
- International Student Registration Center Map